Friday, October 07, 2005

The Bill Brooks Prostate Cancer Project and "It's wicked!"

Background: My boss is the Chair of the Bill Brooks Prostate Cancer Benefit at the Calgary Health Trust. Our company, therefore, ends up doing a lot of volunteer work for the project, which is not bad because raising fund for prostate cancer education, research and treatment is a good thing. I've been doing a chunk of work for the Project by working with designers, doing some media relations, producing ads (which I should be doing right now) and working on events. The big event is the Annual Bill Brooks Prostate Cancer Benefit (aka The Bum Ball) on January 28, 2006.

So, this is how I ended up at The Core (Calgary downtown shopping centre) at a boxer short fashion show (blue and white boxers being the new symbol for the fight against prostate cancer) and speaking with the Calgary Sun about my favourite pair of boxers. I'm learning that I may not be the best media spokesperson for anyone... but let me get to that after this excerpt from Chris Gerritsen's article in today's Sun:

Out and About

The downtown lunch crowd was treated to a brief fashion show yesterday at the Calgary Eaton Centre. It was Brief Encounters, in support of the eighth annual Bill Brooks Prostate Cancer Benefit.

Mode Models walked the runway, showcasing a collection of boxer shorts turned into works of art created by 15 of Calgary's best designers and artists. The shorts will be put on display then auctioned off at the fundraiser in January. Page Six asked some of those who took in the show about the artful boxers they favoured...

[then the article quotes about 8 or so people. Fifth down is a familiar name...]

Daorcey Le Bray, 24: "I liked the chastity one the best. I think it's wicked. Moderately uncomfortable, but I like the metal look. Very cool. If I could wear metal shorts comfortably, I would."

Wow.

It's wicked?

Good god. One never really knows how umm... unique one sounds until one shows up in print. But, then again, I should have noticed that there is a pattern forming in my media experience:

Exhibit A: Star Wars Episode III. Asked by friend and CBC correspondent about what I thought of the movie. "It was amazing! Non-stop action! I thought it was great!"

Exhibit B: Alberta Beef Producers' Centennial BBQ. Last minute insert into CityTV Breakfast Television to cook burgers on air because my chef didn't show up. "People should come on out and enjoy a beef burger on the Alberta Beef Producers... I think this burger's good to eat... yeah, try this one [insert nervous pelvic thrusts toward interviewer]."

Exhibit C: Aforementioned love of shiny undergarments.

Part of my job is considering questions and answers for clients and how to make them sound great in the media. Most of the time, they're really happy with me. Maybe I could benefit from some media training of my own. I think I just need to curb my enthusiasm.

And, for the record, The Revenge of the Sith was a fun watch, but hardly amazing. It didn't make me choke up like Serenity did. Now that was a good time.

PS: if you happen to be in Calgary, buy a pair of boxer shorts at Harry Rosen, Thomas Jeffery or Urban downtown and some of that money will go toward fighting prostate cancer. Plus you'll get a sexy metal boxer short pin.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, metal? Actual, real metal? You wear under your clothes...? isn't that a little stiff, or is this like chainmail? Maybe a little tinfoil? Wouldn't that still crinkle and hurt? Oy. Any of those would be uncomfortable with the stuffness.

...freak.

-Arone

Daorcey Le Bray said...

I believe the boxers in question were a silk base with a chainmail overlay. The crotch was, um, protected by a pad lock.

I think running would be a problem, but chaffing probably wouldn't be.

...yes, I am a freak... but they were the coolest pair... they were wicked.

Anonymous said...

My gosh... my belly hurts.... from the laughter.... I think I peed just a little.

(insert pelvic thrust here)

Nicole said...

Nice daorcey. You hoser. Maybe I'll get you chastity boxers for Christmas... a gift for you *and* nat!

Anonymous said...

That might end up being a gift to the world and its future...

Daorcey Le Bray said...

I'll pretend I don't suspect what that means...