Sunday, March 22, 2009

Away with us!

For me, London occupies an important part in my heart. Thanks (for a large part) to Nicole, we spent some great days there being tourists. This a was a few months before we got married, and, although it certainly wasn't a honeymoon (honeymoon's aren't spent sleeping on the floor of a friend's one-room flat), it was an important vacation.

It was our first big trip together. From giddily sitting in the Calgary airport to figuring out transit in London and Paris to just walking around together and sharing in the surprise of seeing new things, it was all so exciting and new and wonderful. During periods of vacation and travel on my own or with family, I was often beset by moments where I wished to share it with someone else--someone who might just hold my hand and feel the same amazement of the gardens of Versailles or the view from a mountaintop. That trip to London and Paris and Vimy was filled with those kinds of moments--each one reinforcing that we could easily spend the rest of our lives together.

We don't travel enough of it, but it has featured significantly into our lives together. Whether it's making a long distance relationship work between China and Canada at the height of the SARS crisis or taking a quick road trip to Seattle to watch a made-for-tv movie, travel has been a notable and wonderful part of our relationship.

Photo from the dome of St. Paul's Cathedral. Shot by Nicole.

And so, we're quite excited to be planning another trip to London for later this spring. History, food, architecture, art... there's a lot we're looking forward to and we're finding that, even though we'll be there longer this time, we're going to had to make decisions on what things MUST be done and what things can wait until we return again.

We've taken out almost every London travel book from the library, but that's not making things any easier. I guess, as we get closer to the date, we'll be more motivated to make the tough decisions on a somewhat flexible itinerary.

So far, our plans include spending most of our time in London with a couple of day trips and a quick jaunt out of the country to return to Vimy Ridge via Paris. And now it looks like we might also do Amsterdam for a couple of days. This could become another whirlwind tour, but I think we can handle it.

I've made sure to work out more regularly so I can carry Natalie around as much as I can a la this photo from our first trip.

Even though we're doing a bunch of research on what we'd like to do for this trip, we'd welcome any suggestions from our readers. Any must-see, of overlooked, gems in London?

This is going to rock.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see you guys!! I love that photo of you, it's actually framed in my room. Is that weird?

-Nicole

Mary said...

Oh dear god there's so much to do. Have you seen any theatre in London? Try to get groundling tickets for Shakespeare's Globe (they're doing Romeo and Juliet this spring—it's got to be better than the literal shit-show Nicole and I saw). The Tate Modern is great and Greenwich is pretty (but go on a weekday). Pack a picnic and go to Hampstead Heath. Go to the Hunterian Museum at the Royal College of Surgeons (http://www.rcseng.ac.uk/museums) where there's a skeleton of an infamous eighteenth-century criminal, old surgical instruments, and lots of random specimens in jars. Go to the National Portrait Gallery and see the only portrait of Jane Austen (well, it's one of two, but in the other one you can't see her face). Take a walk down St. James's Mall. The used book shops on Charing Cross Road aren't fantastic, but worth going through in an afternoon (head north from Trafalgar or south from I think Oxford St). The biggies are obviously the British Museum and the V&A—I've only been to the V&A, but it's quite neat. If you're interested in seeing National Trust-type manor houses and such, let me know and I'll e-mail you a detailed list. God, now (I want to be in London. :(

Daorcey Le Bray said...

Nice! Thanks, Mary. We're starting to nail down a flexible itinerary right now.

And, Nicole, I don't think it's that weird. I still have your birthday card that calls me a bitch proudly displayed in our living room...

Alanna said...

Oh, that's so exciting! I haven't been to London since 1996, so I'm pretty useless. Dustin was there in September, but it was his first time. He loved the Tower of London, British Museum and he saw the Lion King. But that's all pretty obvious stuff. Enjoy! We'll watch for the report!

Anonymous said...

Don't worry. I'll keep you occupied. I've only been here five years, I know, but I've found a few cool things...

-Nicole