Thursday, July 20, 2006

National Notoriety

I'm a bit more famous this morning.

On weekday mornings, CBC Radio One has a show called the Current. It's been around for a long time and it is known for its sense of humour and take on current events.

Before this whole Middle East thing became the news, there was a bit of a furor over a show called The One: Making a Music Star hosted by George Stroumboulopoulos. I guess some people (including me) thought it was a bit lame that The National (CBC's flagship news show) would be jostled around on Tuesday nights for some reality show produced by CBC.

Anyway, The Current decided to have its fun with this controversy by hosting its own reality show The Radio One: Making a Journalist Sing. The gist of the contest: CBC radio and television personalities face off doing their own interpretations of Elton John's Rocket Man. The results were pretty funny (which you can listen to in the above link) and I was lucky to catch last week's episode of The Current when they were playing clips and encouraging listeners to vote for their favourite.

So I voted. And I added a bit of my own flair to my entry about why The National's Terry Milewski should win.

Well, I guess Terry won today and it was all thanks to me and the 36% other respondents that voted for him. But, here's where the national notoriety comes in: my entry was read on the radio today. Yup, I'm officially part of the Milewski fan club.

Don't believe me? You can listen for yourself. (Requires Realplayer.) The contest wrap-up begins right away. Milewski's reading begins at about 5:30. My moment of fame follows right after. If you feel like listening beyond, you'll notice that my endorsement of Milewski is brought up again in an interview with him.

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty impressed that they pronounced my name right. But, in retrospect, I may have chosen my words a little better if I'd known they'd be read on the radio.

1 comment:

Daorcey Le Bray said...

For those of you who didn't have the time to listen to the clip, here's what I wrote when voting for Milewski:

Damn!
That man can sing. He's up there with Bill Shatner. And does anyone else think his moustache is fantastic?
Terry deserves his due. He should be The Radio One.