Saturday, February 14, 2009

Blurg... V-D

Let's take a moment to, once again, celebrate this made-up holiday with candy hearts and recycled romance.

Good grief.

I had a conversation the other day with someone who works at a high-end restaurant in Calgary. He told me how much he hates Valentine's Day. Why?

The restaurant is filled with people who rarely go out and who've never come to (name withheld). A few couples stare lovingly at each other while not buying more wine or food and the majority are in a bad mood. Either way, no one tips very well and it's an overall crappy night.

Yup, sounds about right. And here's my rant to go with it:

If we are going to create a SINGLE day of the year to show how much we care about someone, chances are the 364 days of ambivalence and bitterness are going to win out. If romance and love are so important, why bring them to the foreground for only one day a year? Doesn't that suggest that that majority of relationships don't have any love or romance? Isn't that a problem? Hello? Hello?

Maybe it's just me, but I'm annually offended by the suggestion that I MUST BUY something for the woman I love (Natalie) because I clearly don't do enough of it all year round.

Wow. Thanks, Hallmark. I've suddenly realized that I'm a boorish man living in the shell of a relationship that can only be revived through some easy-to-do consumer actions. Yes, thanks a lot.

But, maybe I'm wrong. Are you living in a relationship where the acknowledgment of your flagging love for each other happens once a year on February 14th? If you are, I'm sorry and you have the right to cuss me out in the comments.

This is also linked to my thoughts on birthdays and Christmas... Why be nice to each other, give gifts, have meals together, and celebrate our shared humanity only once a year? Is it so hard to do that more regularly? To give gifts when you see that perfect something for that special someone? To share how you feel when you feel it? To eat good food with good friends when you're hungry and want to talk? Can't we do that more often?

Sigh... maybe we can.

In the meantime, here's a Valentine card that makes me smile.

4 comments:

Daorcey Le Bray said...

To clarify: I do not think that people who celebrate Valentine's Day are bad or unromantic the rest of the year.

I'm just a holiday anarchist bitter at being told what to do.

Ryan said...

Not sure I'd ever refer to Valentine's Day as "V-D".

Valentine's Day Pro-Tip: poison your significant other with home made sushi. Quickest way to end future celebrations on February 14th.

Mary said...

Also, I hate that Valentine's Day occurs in the winter, meaning that you have to dress in layers or else navigate icy sidewalks in heels. Has anyone in the world ever felt sexy wearing snowboots and/or long underwear? This holiday is clearly ill-conceived.

Anonymous said...

"Poo! ...Valentine"

I believe "Poo!" will be my new favourite prefix.