Friday, October 27, 2006

Random story

This story happened when I was News Editor. Every Wednesday night/Thursday morning I would come home to a dark house. I'm not afraid of the dark but I'm not at my best in the dark. As well, we had a problem with mice in our basement and my mom worried they would arise from the basement and wreak havoc upstairs. The combination of the three factors (fatigue, dark, and mice) and what resulted did not endear me to my parents at 3 in the morning.

I come home and drag myself in the door. I shut the door, lock it, and put up the chain. I start to take off my shoes when I can feel a distinct pressure on my leg. In the silence only 3 am provides, I can also hear a squeaking. I can only draw one conclusion from those two impressions. There is a mouse on my leg.

I immediately start screaming and shaking my leg. My parents barrel out of their bedroom, flip on the lights, and frantically ask if everything is okay. Of course everything is fine and there was no mouse. I sheepishly admit I thought there was a mouse on my leg and slink off to bed. My mom still likes to remind me of that story.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

I remember driving home from Wed/Thurs, and falling asleep... while driving.

Ah, such good times.

Daorcey Le Bray said...

Your mom should remind you of that story. You must have given them a heart attack. They probably thought you were being assaulted at the front door.

Mary said...

The key is to stay late enough at the Gauntlet so that it's starting to get light outside when you get home. Problem solved.