Sunday, July 08, 2007

Stampede - Calgary's Halloween

Threadless.com t-shirt

Much has been said about the Calgary Stampede. Yeah, it's the Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth. More importantly, it's Calgary's Halloween--a 10-day period where Calgarians and tourists celebrate the signifier over the signified. It's a period of cowboy hats and belt buckles, not about history and western lifestyles. And that doesn't really bother me... I just wanted you to know.

Natalie and I were out at the mall today and I found myself looking for a "western style" shirt that I could wear at work. I got something, so my coworkers can rest assured that I will be wearing more than one shirt with my two pairs of jeans over the next 10 day. Mmm, the sweet smell of Stampede.

It's interesting that the Calgary Stampede has created a strong culture of expectation. "Tradition" dictates that every building in the downtown area must have cartoon cowboys and bulls on its front windows. Everybody must wear their jean skirts and earthy shirts. No suits allowed. Belt buckles and bolo ties are encourages. And cowboy boots? Wearing yours means you have enough money to buy a $100-500 pair of boots that you wear for 10 days a year.

Stampede time is known for its pancake breakfasts and barbecues. You're either hosting one of attending many. Most of the time it's both. I can't dis them because their great marketing and communication opportunities and maybe I should be happy that they're all contained neatly over a two-week period. Politicians, of course, know this and so they flock to Calgary in early July to host their own event and be seen flipping flapjacks for the common man. You'll see more Liberals in Calgary during Stampede than any other time of the year. That's becoming the same for Conservatives, but I guess that's a function of having power and comfortably assuming your support base won't be going anywhere while you bend over backwards for Eastern constituencies that you previously didn't know existed...

But it ain't good enough to just flip a burger or two and shake hands with the unwashed masses--you have to look the part. And so in steps the fashion and PR consultants to help someone who has never "worn western" to look the part. Your Ontario-based Fisheries minister needs to appear as though she just walked off the ranch because, hey, that's part of what Stampede is all about. If you're going to the Halloween party, you'd better bring a costume or you're going to look like a dork.

But then again, you can also look like a dork if you don't have the right advise. Let's ask Stephen Harper for his thoughts:


You must have seen that photo before. I mean, it's associated with nearly every single article about the man since it was taken 2 years ago. OK, that's a hyperbole, but we honestly do see it more than we should. There's a PR lesson in here, but I'll leave that for discussion.

So Stampede comes around and the office uniform is imposed: jeans, etc. Not bad, I guess. Jeans are comfortable. But it's the etcetera that becomes a problem. Hence the shopping on the weekend for a western style shirt. But on Friday, I didn't have a western style shirt, so I compiled the best western outfit I could find:







Dork? Yes, I'll admit to that. But I'm proud to have brought Halloween and Stampede that much closer together.








UPDATE: Check out this article about Stampede tyranny in the office that appeared in Monday's Glove and Mail.

4 comments:

Mary said...

The one thing missing from your outfit: that pained "oh, shit" look on Harper's face when he realizes that that outfit will haunt him for the rest of his political career.

Nat said...

You didn't comment enough on the build.

You can't really tell but there is some cotton batting underneath the shirt to achieve that "Prime Ministerial" look. As well, in the original photo, Harper is wearing a tuxedo shirt! Look closely at the collar. But Daorcey had to settle for a plain white collared shirt.

Also, where's my credit? I'm the one who came up with the "brilliant" idea.

Ryan said...

That's awesome Daorcey! But you really need to work on the mischievous facial expression. Harper looks like he just pooped himself or something... You look too happy, hah.

If you explore the grounds past the midway, mini-donuts and beer gardens you'll find the real Stampede. Acres of horses, cattle, sheep and LLAMA'S! It's a big trade show hidden behind the facade of a silly tourist attraction. To me, that's far more interesting, though not as tasty (as the mini-donuts).

Anonymous said...

Daorcey for Prime Minister!
~Marilyn ^_^