Friday, November 20, 2009

"Use the loofah."

Unfortunately, I really don't have much more to say about this than a suggestion you watch it. It's hilarious and has had me laughing all day long.



There's a larger discussion to be had (thanks to Jeff and Alan, of course) about the efficacy of public service announcements. Do they simply exist to show off great creative or do they actually make a difference?

After watching the video a few times, I can't say I'm any more an advocate for the message than I was before I watched it. But am I in the minority? Hmmm... a question for a broader population research, I suppose.

And maybe I'm just getting way too deep for a blog post about a video that makes me giggle. So, go ahead and watch it and discuss amongst yourselves.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Regarding its effectiveness, my opinion is that you are definitely in the majority. Maybe only 1% of viewers would actually go to peopleagainstdirty.com and 1% of those would go further.

But, I think that video is good enough to send 2% to the website.

Unknown said...

That's a wicked video, by the way.

Daorcey Le Bray said...

Fair enough... 2% ain't a bad number for an organization that may be doing 0% until that point.

james said...

The Internets stole the link you posted, but I think I found it -- the Shiny Suds video, right?

Hilarious, but made me very scared for that woman. More like Pervy Suds.

As for PSAs, I'm not quite sure how effective an ad like that could really be. It's funny and will get forwarded all over the place, and might get a couple of people to visit the website, but beyond that there's much not information to take away, and nothing to really try to convince me of anything.

For corporations and products (in other words, brands), I think these kind of viral campaigns can work. When you watch that crazy slip and slide video from a couple of months ago (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wAjpMP5eyo) and then hear it was actually made by Microsoft, then you might link your "oh cool!" reaction to the brand. But with a PSA, there's really no brand. It's really an argument.

For PSA-style messaging and advocacy, I imagine they probably turn into somewhat of an echo-chamber instead. A really funny video of David Suzuki singing about climate change with a monkey (to use a completely made up but nonetheless genius idea as an example) might be entertaining and Suzuki fans would go bananas over it and email it to all their friends, but you're sort of preaching to the converted. It won't be changing anyone's mind.

Although I'll be thinking about "Use the loofah" probably for the rest of the night.

Mary said...

I totally want to be sexually harassed by soap residue when I shower.

also
1. Why isn't the water running?
2. Why on earth would the woman undress and get into the shower in the first place? If I had animated bubbles speaking to me the LAST thing I would do is step into the tub.

So, uh, perhaps my answer to this PSA is: no.

Anonymous said...

Psst.... The ME2 pre-trailer is up. ;)

-Arone