Sunday, August 05, 2007

Go away! Reading book.

One of the things I enjoy about my job is that I can get there by C-Train. There is no driving in traffic, no idling in traffic, and no needing to pay attention in traffic. Instead: train arrives, I sit down, and book comes out, and then 20 minutes later I'm at work, to my surprise. I've only missed my stop once and only noticed because I thought "That's funny, I don't remember a Wal-Mart at my stop."

However, my reading routine has become disrupted by a couple of co-workers. One fellow I only run into occasionally and don't mind talking to. The other, I'm not sure what to do about. It's not that he is a horrible conversationalist or uninteresting, it's that he reads also. There are very few people who read during lunch in our department, so his lunchtime habit definitely stands out.

So the next time we're waiting for the train, do I broach that subject? It's seems rude to ask someone to stop the conversation because I'd rather read, but it also seems rude to prevent someone from returning to an awesome book.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Claim you're in a book club and need to get it read by the weekend. Chances are that this guy is having the same moral quandary and wouldn't be offended.

Alternatively, don't bathe for a week and ride every day next to him on the train. If that fails, you can borrow my squad of deadly ninjas.

james said...

casually mention your blog address. he'll see this, and get the point.