Friday, February 10, 2006

Non-geek stuff

In a bid to deodorize the geek smell from the blog for a bit, here's what we've been up to besides making up fake cabinets and wasting time at work.

-We are going up to Edmonton for a dodgeball tournament. Brad and Toni decided it would be fun and so did we. Our team's name is Target Practice which is quite apt given our amateur status. So someone will be kicking our asses and taking our names.

-Not done with the dodgeball, we are forming our own team for a recreational league in Calgary. There, we hope to dominate with tough backchecking and hard work coupled with a gritty defence.

-I've joined a recreational badminton league. It's fun but extremely painful as I am terribly out of shape. But, the pain is worth it as it's really fun and makes me pine for the days when Nicole use to hit me in the eye with birdies. True story.

-We saw George S. of many vowels at U of C. He was doing two shows of The Hour in Calgary and Daorcey snagged two tickets somehow. Not only were the stands incredible uncomfortable--we were basically sitting on 2 x 4s--it was a somewhat interesting show. There was a Q & A forum where George regaled the audience with stories of his past mascotting duties as a giant lizard for a Kelowna radio station and embarrassing Britney Spears at a press conference. We would have stayed for more but we already heard most of it when he came to Calgary during the CBC lockout.

-We are going to Karissa's birthday part at... Lloyd's! If any of you grew up in Calgary then I'm sure you've attended at least one party there. Daorcey has never been roller skating and doesn't get the nostalgia value. I, on the other hand, will be there in my neons and glow necklaces.

-We were planning a late February trip to Disneyland but changed are minds because that week, Feb. 20, is President's Day so the park will be overrun with kids. So it's postponed until September where the kids will be in school and hopefully the Canadian dollar will be worth more than the US. See here for more info.

-As many of you know I'm temping my way through the business world but a few days ago I was offered a job in balmy Conklin. If you don't know where it is, it's near Lac La Biche, about 2 hours north of Edmonton. An engineer on the project offered me the job after meeting about 30 minutes before and not knowing my experience with document control, of which I have very little. But I turned it down knowing living in a carnie town wouldn't be for me.

So that's all the non-geek news for now.

5 comments:

Daorcey Le Bray said...

I am SHOCKED and APPALLED that the geek factor of this site was so ruthlessly down-graded by my other half.

Hardly any time was given to Jeff to enjoy his time in the warm glow of Tatooine's two suns for his entry "Sith Shadow Cabinet".

We'll have to ratchet up the geek factor with some mud-slinging attack ads from the Galactic election.

Anonymous said...

Or you could devote the next 5 posts to Chuck Norris.

Ryan
//Ok, that was the last one, I swears

Nicole said...

Lloyds!! My god, so nostalgic!

Anonymous said...

This is my first time to DarNat. Is that a Dragnet reference, or just an excellent coincidence (or fate)?
I need to read more about the earlier geek festing, as I'm hoping there are lots of Star Wars pictures with Anakin only half dressed, I mean, evil. I mean, I'm happily married to an electrical engineer and I love his non-evilnessnicity. Although, with his laser and plasma research combined with Brad's ability to actually build things that work, they could really make a stab at some light saber action...
Roz

Daorcey Le Bray said...

Welcome to the blog, Roz!

Um, there are no half-dressed photos of Anakin on this site, I'm pleased to say. Just some Storm Troopers in downtown Calgary.

DarNat is a the result of vigourous testing of the combining of our names. NatDar sounds like bug radar, so we move the the next natural choice, DarNat.

I didn't watch Dragnet too much when I was younger. The last episode of it I caught was about the evils of pot. A couple of young couples would get together and smoke up regularly, which was all good and harmless until they forgot the baby in the bath and it drowned.

The Devil strikes again!