Monday, September 10, 2007

1.5 reasons to visit Thunder Bay

Reason 1: The Terry Fox memorial.

On the way out of town to Sudbury, we drove past the Terry Fox memorial. As you can tell, it was pretty damn early but it made for a nice atmosphere. Driving from Thunder Bay to Sudbury, I couldn't imagine Fox running up and down those hills, with huge semi trucks whizzing by. If you're interested in learning more I suggest picking up Douglas Coupland's Terry. Fox's statue faces west, in case you wondering.

Reason 0.5: The Persian
Thunder Bay has its own unique pastry: the Persian. I remember reading a Fast Forward article where someone mentioned it and it made sense to try to find it. However, the store Persian Man (where one gets the legit Persian) was going to be closed while we were there. So I resorted to the Safeway version. I have to say my parents were pretty good about driving around town to basically sample a glorified donut.

It seems unfair to judge a pastry on its lesser form but it was tasty. I did not discover what flavour the icing was.


More trip updates will come. I'm organizing them by theme rather than day because no one wants me to detail 14-hour car trips.

No comments: