Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Carless and Fancy Free

We did it.

We'd talked about it. There was some musing. A bit of discussion even. But then we just went ahead and did it.

We sold the car.

Emotions, at this point, are mixed. I was excited to finally take the plunge and go carless in Calgary (something that's been done by a few others, so why not us?). Finally dropping the car might be quite an adventure and lead to many new experiences as we find other ways to get around the city.

But, on the other hand, it was sad to see my taller little brother (the purchaser) turn the corner and drive the car out of sight... to be parked and driven in other city in the far North. That little green Echo had brought us places (like Moosejaw and Seattle). We've been looking for photos of it on our many trips with it, but all we can find are ones that include the inside of the vehicle.



So, yes, we'll miss Echo (creative name, right?), but we'll always have the memories of long rides and mid-trip naps. And, of course, I'll never forget that Echo was my "reason" to get Natalie out to a secluded spot in the mountains south of Canmore so I could surprise her with my marriage proposal.

On a Saturday afternoon in 2004, I convinced Natalie that she should come with me on a small road trip to Canmore so I could test out my newly purchased 2000 Echo as we take it onto some secondary roadways (some bumps, hills and rocks). So we went on our little drive listening to music and enjoying the scenery (although there are moments of heights were neither of us was very pleased). Eventually, we came to a small lake further off the beaten path that still had ice on it despite the warm May weather. The sun was out and I surprised Natalie by pulling off the road and suggesting a quick picnic of strawberries and sparking apple juice.

Personally, I think she was more surprised that I pre-washed the strawberries.

And so, as we sat our our blanket at the side of this small lake snacking and drinking, I said "oh, I also got you a present" and I took out a small green glass box. And inside of that glass box, resting in folds of velvet was a diamond ring.

"willyoumarryme?"

As we drove home later that day, we were both excited and even anxious about the adventures that lay ahead. The Echo isn't part of that story any more, but it did have a role to play those few years ago.

We gave the car a big hug when Arone took it to its new home on Sunday.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like you're saluting in the second pic. hee hee

Anonymous said...

I named it Scuber. :)

gary said...

Happy Birthday!

james said...

don't worry, echo will be wiped and given a new personality before you know it . . .

Daorcey Le Bray said...

Wow... I'm so lame that Natalie had to remind me about how cool James was for a perfectly appropriate Dollhouse reference.

"James wins an internets."

james said...

i win the internets! awesome.

Alanna said...

I don't remember hearing your engagement story before--I loved it! I feel like saying congratulations or something...instead of farewell to car. Well, how about congrats on taking the plunge and being carless in Calgary...good luck!