Tuesday, October 31, 2006

"Hi, Red Leader"

The man who randomly said that to me while I was waiting to cash my paycheque today is my hero. I'd been going through the day with the feeling that no one knew who I was dressed as--that every person who saw me thought "what the heck is he supposed to be?" This morning the boss said "Karissa and I both agree that next year you have to dress as something that doesn't require an explanation."

Fair enough. I'm pretty sure everyone who saw Karissa in her mink stoll and horned helmet knew she wasn't a fairy princess. She has all they right signs on to signify she has no qualms with raping and pillaging.

I, on the other hand, pose a quandary to the ungeeked eye:


Just in case you're still unsure. Here's the original:


Yeah, I could make it easier on people. I could dress up like a vampire or spiderman or something like that, but this way I get to experience a special bond between true geeks. If you recognize me, all you need to do is give me a nod or say something like "one more pass." It's like a secret handshake for nerds the world over.

And to date, I've never been taught a secret handshake, so this will have to do.

You can take the rebel pilot out of his starfigher,
but you can't take the starfigher out of the rebel pilot.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

In defense of the general public. I knew what you were going for. I just chose to ignore it.

The secret of a secret society is that you don't let others know. You'd know that if you were really one of us...

Daorcey Le Bray said...

What? Really? Oh. How sad.

joelthedramakid said...

i think what saddens me the most is seeing a nitendo gun taken out of operation. Like when i saw a girl wearing a Nintendo game pad as a belt buckle if it was broken before great but if it worked. *shakes fist* damn kids on my lawn!

Daorcey Le Bray said...

Don't worry, Joel. That gun's still in working order... It was just detached from the Boleys' Nintendo for the day. It is now back in operation shooting ducks and that damn dog.