Tuesday, November 18, 2008

"American money smells funny"

Of all the things we did at PAX, meeting Wil Wheaton was probably the only one that met our expectations.

Watching Next Generation, I did not have a crush on him. So I didn't think I'd be overwhelmed. I really enjoy his blog and he seems normal.

Wil did a book signing the day before his one-man panel (how does one person be a panel? He's kinda awesome that way). I had left Daorcey behind at the Penny Arcade Q&A. As I waited in line I realized Daorcey had no idea where I was and had to leave to find him. Luckily the couple in front of him saved my spot, or so I hoped as I left.

Found Daorcey and found my spot was also saved. I bought Wil's chapbook for the couple who saved my spot as a thank you which Wil said "was sweet."

I'm giving the impression here that I was a smooth operator when I met him and I was not. We go up to him and all I can say is "Hi..." That's it. Just several ellipsises full of silence. Daorcey jumps in and asks Wil about his various books for sale and I think Wil is relieved I'm not going to just stand there and stare at him. When I finally mention I would to purchase a book I blurt out "American money smells funny. Canadian money doesn't smell." I don't think Wil found it too odd but replied that Canadian money smells like good government and health care.

So about for two hours later I berated myself for acting like a dork. Especially since there was a ready made topic to talk about: his velvet painting of Wesley Crusher paid for by one of my favourite authors. But there's always PAX 2009.

No comments: