Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Dinner at the Burger Inn

"Hi there, what can I get for you?"

"Oh, uh, my wife will have the elk burger and I..."

I find making decisions about food difficult. The fact is, I'd like to try it all. Yes, given the opportunity, I'll have everything on the menu. Unfortunately, one rarely gets that opportunity and so I have to make a decision. It's stressful and it can become only more stressful with people standing behind you.

I've been known to walk into a Starbucks, get in line, take a look at the menu board and leave. Not because I didn't like what I saw, but because I felt like I was the only one in line who didn't know exactly what I wanted. All I knew was that I wanted a sweet tasting coffee. Not good enough. Time to retreat.

But, back to the Burger Inn on 4th street, I was fortunate that the vegetarian options are sparse, thus making dinner decisions easier. I like this. Still, I also like to know exactly what my options were. The wild salmon burger seemed pretty well explained but not exactly what I felt like having, so I needed a bit more info on the item identified with parentheses as "meatless".

"What's your Golden Harvest burger all about?"

"That's a veggie burger."

"Great. And you Superior Golden Harvest burger?"

"That's a veggie burger with bacon."

"I should have guessed that."

It's nice when decisions are made for you.

3 comments:

gary said...

To be fair, bacon makes just about everything superior.

For example when I want a puppy to think I'm superior to the people around me, I just put a strip or two in each pocket.

Ryan said...

"That's a veggie burger with bacon."

:D

This is what Alanis would refer to as "ironic". Absolute gold, I love it!

Nat said...

Yeah, the choice was made for me when he said bacon. So tempted. But, who wouldn't eat an elk?