Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Busy enough not to post...

Hi all!

I think it's interesting to note that it's an accepted cliche to start a blog entry that ends a gap of entries with either two things:

A) "Wow, I guess I haven't written in a while and a lot of things have happened since I last did..."
B) Outright ignorance. Yup, I didn't notice that I wasn't blogging and neither should you.

Rather than choose A or B, I choose to make this interesting note. Aha! Rather than make a cliche, I have analysed it! Now... what am I going to do next time?

Since Banff, we've gone to Canmore and then up to Rocky Mountain House over the past two weekends. In Canmore, we were guests in a lovely condo/cabin for a Friday evening full of Settlers, home brewed pop and Lord of the Rings. In Rocky, things were a bit more rough staying in a tent.

As we do every May and September long weekend, we went camping with the DeGroots (Matthew and Kim) and company. These trips are essentially an extended patio adventure. We sit out in the sun with our drinks, play cards, talk about random things from politics to the best gay waffles in New Orleans (honest) and eat some excellent food. This weekend's menu included spinach lasagna (Natalie) and ceasar salad (me), egg McMuffins (Karen), pasta with homemade meat balls and an awesome veggie sauce (Sarah), and a breakfast with oatmeal with strawberries (Kim) and homemade banana bread (Matthew). Between those meals, we ate a variety of snacks including chips, cookies, cinnamon rolls, candy and more.

In an exciting turn of events, Mom and Dad even came to visit. I haven't been camping with my parents for at least 15 years. It was at that time that they decided (fairly enough, I think) that it was more fun to stay at a hotel or condo rather than fight mosquitos in a cold tent while it snows/rains/sleets outside. So for most of those years, I've been camping with this clan twice a year. For the first time ever, Mom and Dad came to join the fun. And even though they stayed at the Holiday Inn in Rocky, they were there for two days enjoying the great weather while playing cards, eating and going for a nice walk around the lake. It was nice to have them there and if Dad sends me one or two of his photos, I will put them up for all to see.

It wasn't all camping, though. We had to take a break on Sunday night to watch the Oilers beat the Mighty Ducks in Anaheim. Seven of us kids took a couple of cars to the town and grabbed a table at Boston Pizza to watch a 3-1 win. So good! After brushing my teeth in their washroom, we returned to the campsite.

And now I've returned to work where I'm busier than expected. The boss is on vacation and there was some thought that there might be less work to do, but I'm keeping my billable hours up so there's no fear of nothing to do.

Don't tell anyone, but I'm trying to grow a beard in the bosses absence. After two weeks, it's not bad and the bulk of the teasing has stopped. We'll see if I can be cool like my little brother and grow a testosterone-driven beard. Natalie and I are taking pictures of my progress and hope to detail it on the blog in the coming weeks.

And that's all for now. We should really use our camera more to document our travels. Maybe I should learn how to use it...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whatever Mr. Walking Carpet! The teasing has not stopped.

Maybe you're just letting your ear hairs grow out so long that you haven't heard us :-)

I can't wait to see the boss' face when he gets back!

Daorcey Le Bray said...

I'll have you know I am the proud owner of a ear hair trimmer, thankyouverymuch.

Fine, the teasing has not stopped (including teasing with Star Wars-related names such as Walking Carpet and Scruffy-Looking Nerf Herder). Lucky for me, I've recently leveled up my Ego Shield defensive skill.

Nicole said...

You're also the (not so?) proud owner of body wax, yet look at your back! What a waste of a birthday present...

Anyway, am jealous of the camping in Rocky Mt House. So pretty out there, even when neighbouring campers are trying to burn down the forest with giant airborne fireballs...

Anonymous said...

Yo Daorcey!

When are you going to share pictures of your Obi-Wan facial doo?

BTW, do you think a Jedi's power comes from the cut of their beard?

Daorcey Le Bray said...

It depends on which crystal pattern he selects to create the blade of his razor.

Anonymous said...

so.... very.... geeky....

Anonymous said...

Your t shirt is on our couch. *frowns*

Daorcey Le Bray said...

So are my pants... *also frowns*