Thursday, March 18, 2010

My new obssession

A couple of weeks ago, we were up in Edmonton visiting Daorcey's grandparents. Because they contributed 1/8 of their genes to Daorcey, we ended up talking about food. Specifically, Cream of Wheat.


I guess that, growing up, Daorcey ate Cream of Wheat quite a bit for breakfast (Daorcey's Note: Not ALL the time... jeeze). I had never eaten it.

We get back to Calgary and we buy a box of Cream of Wheat. What do I discover? Holy crap, this stuff is good! Why didn't anyone tell me? We I have finished the box and am now on to my second. It's really good when you cook it with milk and add some honey. And look! It's a good source of iron. I love iron.

Even though I finished dinner, I'm still thinking of cooking up a bowl for dessert. At least it's mildly healthy, right?

3 comments:

Alanna said...

Wow! A whole box already??? That's a serious commitment. Two of my boys and I enjoy the stuff, but it still lasts forEEEEEEEver in the pantry. Sorry I didn't introduce you 16 years ago. The thought never came.

Nat said...

What? You knew about this stuff 16 years ago and you didn't tell me? I love this stuff. It's really good when there's a lot of lumps.

Unknown said...

Well, after a review that glowing, I had to try it, so I went to the store last night and bought me some Cream of Wheat. I cooked it up this morning, simmering it in milk for eight minutes (I am skeptical of instant-anything, and also of microwaves) and stirring in some black cherry jam.

You were right -- it made for one heck of a delicious breakfast. Might even be better than oatmeal, which isn't a comparison I would make lightly, because I sure do love oatmeal.

I'll try the honey next time. And something tells me a little peanut butter in there would probably blow my mind . . .