Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Jobless... in a sense

I came into the office Monday morning to find this on my desk:


For the record, I've been fired before at this job. It has become a bit of a joke. The problem for my employer is that I like my job so much that I keep coming in. I may have even made the mistake of telling him I'd do this stuff for free... maybe that's why I haven't had a raise in a while.

But this is the first time I've been fired so officially. You know, with a letter and all.

So here I am with a letter of termination on my desk and a stack of client work that needs my attention. And what do I do? I get to work. I mean, stuff needs doing and I guess this is my chance to prove I'll do it for free.

Now before you panic and start calling me with job offers, I should explain the whole story.

My current employer has been bought out. It's been in the works for a number of months, but never official so I couldn't tell a lot of people. Now that things are official, it's time for me to clean out my desk here and make the move down the block to my new employer (ie: the buyer). I've got a bit of anxiety about the whole thing, but the change seems to be a good one: larger company, more opportunities for learning experiences and professional development, more colleagues from which to learn. It should be all good.

Now that I've been fired, I'm waiting for the formal offer letter from the new company. I've met the new boss and even worked with them on a few projects over the past while, so it shouldn't be too weird... I'd just like that offer letter now...

I'm currently in limbo--employment purgatory. How exciting!

A lot of changes going on in my life right now. Next time I see many of you, gentle readers, it may be at our new condo and I should have shiny and new business cards to deal around.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now, imagine that for the last year, you could walk in to work and either be told, yes, you would be staying, or no, you are not staying.

Welcome to life as a contract tester.

Daorcey Le Bray said...

Agreed. Your situation could be a tad more optimal.

Anonymous said...

Oh how I miss the purple pen! :)

Daorcey Le Bray said...

I was going to say how much I missed the purple pen myself.

Then I realized how dirty that sounded.