Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Why I will always like Gretzky

I have some friends who don't like Wayne Gretzky. Some say he's a whiner, not that great or that he's an Edmonton hero, which can't be a good thing.

To those people I say a strong: whatever.

Wayne Gretzky plays an interesting role in the Canadian mythos. He's practically univerally known as a hockey player, coach, manager and advocate. There are movies about his family and many a documentary. He's likeable and when bad things happen around him, he seems to inspire sympathy rather than frustration in people. Many people, hockey fans or not, have some image of him in their mind whether it's him being intense behind the bench in Arizona, jumping up after Canada won the 2002 Winter Olympics, or hoisting the Stanley Cup.

And then there's people from Edmonton. In the 1980's, there was this team called the Edmonton Oilers. They'd been around for a while, but it wasn't until a young Wayne Gretzky joined the Oilers (along with other famous names like Coffey, Kurri, Messier, MacTavish, Lowe, etc) that the team became part of hockey history. There were Stanley Cups won and a city rallying behind them.

I remember going to visit my grandparents and Grandpa would be watching the Oilers play (TV on, sound off, radio on). His enthusiasm for the game was infectious and it was hard not to catch the excitement. The Oilers was his team and there is still memorabilia around the house from those years.

So, there you have the history... now here's the more recent story. Rather than tell you myself, let me just reprint the letter I sent to in October 2005:

Dear Mr. Gretzky:

Thank you so much for signing a $100 bill for my grandfather. His name is Dean Randle and he lives in Edmonton, although he now spends a third of the year in Yuma, AZ.

The reason I’ve made this request for your signatu
re is because I’m trying to replace something that was stolen from my grandfather six years ago. He is not a collector of memorabilia but simply a die-hard hockey fan (of all teams, but he has a soft spot for the Edmonton Oilers, of course). He was an Oiler season ticket holder for almost all my youth until the ticket prices became too high. Over 20 years ago he was stricken with a disease that put him on long-term disability and, to spend his time, he became a solid fan of the Oilers while you were part of the team. He proudly tells stories about how he went to so many practices that he began to be recognized by some of the players. The Stanley Cups the Oilers won then are a part of that pride.

In the late 1990's, you were in Edmonton for a charity golf tournament which my uncle (my grandfather's son) also attended. As my uncle's story goes, he asked you to sign a $100 bill for my grandfather (because that was all he had in his pocket). It was my grandfather's birthday present that year, and it became a prized possession that he kept in a special frame. He would show it off to everyone who visited his home.

In the winter of 2000, while I was staying at my grandparent's home in Edmonton attending university, their house was burglarized. Fortunately, very little was stolen (much of what my grandparents own has sentimental, not monetary, value). Unfortunately, one of the few things stolen was that signed $100 (the burglars even broke the frame to get at it).

It is one of those things that insurance can't replace and its loss was a real disappointment for my grandfather (he still brings it up even though it is almost six years since it was stolen). Therefore it means a lot to me to be able to give him another $100 bill with your signature on it.

Again, thank you so much for your generosity in signing this $100 bill. I will frame it and give it to my grandfather for his 71st birthday this February. I know he will be very excited to receive it.

Sincerely with best wishes,

Daorcey Le Bray

Prior to sending this, I sent an e-mail to the Board of Directors for the Phoenix Coyotes asking if Mr. Gretzky would be able to sign a bill for me. I guess that e-mail made an impression, because I got a call from Gretzky's agent in charge of merchandizing the next day. It's been a long time since a phone call has made me so ecstatic, but that day I was walking on air and telling anyone who would listen how I was going to get Gretzky's signature for my grandfather. Once the logistics were figured out (thanks to much help from mom and dad), the bill made it there and back.

In March, Grandma and Grandpa returned from their annual vacationing in Arizona (coincidence) and I gave the bill to Grandpa as soon as I could. I think he was pretty excited about it and I was really happy to give him such a present.
And that's why I'll always like Gretzky. He helped me give my Grandpa the coolest present ever.

11 comments:

Nicole said...

It's a lovely story, but I still think he's a wanker. :)

Nat said...

Notice the 99 under Gretzky's autograph? Apparently, he doesn't sign it anymore when giving out autographs but deigned to do so for this. Either that or he forgot that he doesn't sign that anymore.

Nicole said...

Why wouldn't he sign it anymore? That's what he's famous for? It'd be like him changing his name and signing everything John Smith.

Tho that'd be pretty funny.

Anonymous said...

Gretzky defines the classy sports hero. He does seem to genuinely care for his fans and gives them the utmost respect. This is a really awesome thing Gretzky did for you and your Grandfather!

Watching the "Great One" in a media conference is like being witness to the creation of a work of masterwork art. Wayner can dodge questions better then any politician I have ever seen and knows the exact moment to duck out of a press conference before he is trapped into saying something he shouldn't. And he alway leaves his audience uttering a collective "awwww". Fantastic spokeperson.

Too bad he had to suffer in Edmonton for all that time...

oh snap!

Daorcey Le Bray said...

You're very right, Ryan. I suspect he comes by that very naturally. He knows how to manage a news conference (and himself/his emotions) now and could even do it when he was younger.

There wasn't a dry eye in Edmonton when Gretzky left. When he started to tear up at his farewell news conference, wiped his eyes and said "I promised Mess' I wouldn't do this"... dude. It's one of those moments Edmontonians all know.

Now compare that farewell to Pronger. Yeah... that was handled poorly. No statue for that man.

Nicole said...

I'm not sure knowing how to manage a press conference is a skill I want in a sports hero. Maybe you communications types, sure.

Besides, think about how he's handled press coverage lately, blaming the media for putting pressure on the Canadian hockey team during the Olympics, or saying the whole world was against the team the round before. Came off as a whiner... hence the nickname.

I put him in the same catergory as Tiger Woods: the best in their sport, annoying personalities.

Daorcey Le Bray said...

That situation seemed more calculated than whiny to me. In fact, I was going to mention that in my last comment.

But maybe I'm seeing forethought where it doesn't exist...

Becca said...

Hi Daorcey,
I think #99 would be upset if he knew that you thought the Oilers had been around for a while before Gretzky joined the team; in fact, the club joined the NHL in 1979, and signed Gretzky almost immediately. Especially after he went out of his way to sign that $100 for your grandpa and all.
Proving that you can be many, many kinds of geek all at once,
-Becca

Daorcey Le Bray said...

Becca, you are so right...

The truth that I'm not a real hockey fan comes to light! OK, fine. I am slightly embarrassed by my ignorance.

But I suspect my grandfather knows the facts better than I do... and I still appreciate what Gretzky did for him :)

Anonymous said...

I doubt this will ever be read, but I have to chime in here.

Daorcey is actaully correct. The Edmonton Oilers had been around BEFORE Gretzky. The Edmonton Oilers were founded in 1972, originally called the Alberta Oilers. In 1973, they changed the name to the Edmonton Oilers when the plan to split the games between Calgary and Edmonton didn't pan out. Gretzky joined the Oilers in 1978, one year before the WHA folded and the Oilers joined the NHL.

Sorry Becca, but Daorcey was more correct than you were.

Anonymous said...

I used to work for another hockey player and had the opportunity to spend a lot of time with the Gretzky family. Wayne and Janet are genuinely nice people and they raised their children with the same values. Wayne used to make sure to always carry a permanent marker with him just in case someone wanted an autograph so they could have it forever. Nothing about your story surprises me, but it did put a smile on my face-thanks for bringing up some wonderful memories-CONane