Tuesday, November 11, 2008

What's the message?

It's been a somber day in Canada as many of us observe Remembrance Day on the 90th anniversary of the armistice of the Great War. I was fortunate to have the day off and spent the morning at The Military Museums with 10,000 other people as part of the Remembrance Day ceremonies.

There are a few posts on this blog about past wars and the nature of war today. This fits in with it.

Throughout today's ceremony, I was struck by seemingly central message to the surrounding crowds about the reasons for war: these soldier's died so that we may enjoy freedom, democracy, security, etc.

It's not a particularly surprising message. In fact, I'm sure many of us would say it's something we've heard many times before. "The fought and died for us..."

Now, I'm not intending to be disrespectful toward those who serve in our military, but I just don't buy it. But, why shouldn't I? If this message has been around so long, why doesn't it resonate with me? Not only does it not resonate with me... this message also makes me uncomfortable. I'd say it even rings hollow when I hear it.

Does it bother you?

The communicator in me thinks that the message about the protection of our liberties is an old one meant for a different audience perhaps 30 years ago. It is a message meant for persuading a populace that their military is needed because "the hun" (whoever they may be) is at our door. Any military action at home or abroad is meant to truly protect us from certain destruction.

That just isn't the case any more for today's Canadian citizen. Or, then again, maybe I'm wrong... maybe Canadians are worried that Al Qaeda is just waiting to take over our country... maybe they are concerned that a Taliban-run Afghanistan is a serious threat to our democracy, freedom, existence, etc.

But for me, that just doesn't seem realistic. And so the messages I heard today at the Remembrance Day ceremonies worn... they couldn't hold up to how I see the world and our role in it. Instead, throughout the hour-long ceremony, I found myself silently rephrasing the reasons for war--re-articulating our military raison d'etre.

Military action, for me, is about protecting the human rights of those who are at risk. It is about stopping/preventing genocide. It is about ensuring an international standard of humanity and equality.

I have Romeo Dallaire to thank for that one.

But does anyone else out there see it that way? My government representatives seem confused because their messaging seems to move back and forth. But, as soon as you suggest we have soldiers in Afghanistan to protect my way of life, I get suspicious.

Is it because the protection of other people isn't enough to get a populace to support it's military? Is it easier to gain political points by saying it's about protecting ourselves?

I'd like to think we're more humanistic than that. I'd like to think the protection of human rights (including the right to exist) is more important than that... even if it isn't our own human rights we're protecting.

So, the next time my elected official makes that argument, I'm with them. Until that, I'll just assume they're not speaking to me.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

You raise a good point. In the next couple decades most of the veterans will be of the Korean era, and later the elder vets will be from Canada's first peacekeeping efforts in Egypt and Cyprus. The messaging will need to change to honour the service of the peace keeping forces.

But... it is held on November 11 for a very important reason. World War 1 changed our nation in immeasurable ways. It was the single most bloody conflict in human history up to that point. It remains one of the most vicereal for sure.

It is important we continue to remember this, and that on November 11, 1918, the Great War (WW1) drew to a close.

Keep in mind, the first world war was a tragedy on an epic scale. It is the prime historical example of the pointlessness of European Imperialist philosophy, nationalist arrogance, and general naivete regarding the cost of all out war.

Remembrance Day's key message, purpose even, is not specific the thanking of our veterans. While that is a very big part of it, the true message is the ultimate folly of war, especially fought over ridiculous imperialist notions. This might seem outdated in this day and age, but it is still a vital and important message that has guided Canada's policy through WW2 and the Cold War and continues to influence our foreign policy. We keep the peace because of what our nation paid in WW1.

If the messaging changes to fit the current day, it seems to diminish that original concept.

So I agree, there does need to be some clarity brought to the underlying messaging, it is important that we do not forget the first reason that Nov 11 was set aside.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean with the whole "they fought for our freedoms" thing, how it feels false. To me though, this doesn't mean Canadian soliders fought for the freedom of Canada -- there wasn't really any point when Canada was under direct attack. This was Canadian soliders (and American, and British, etc) fighting for people's freedom -- we might be more "globalised" and "interconnected" (blah blah blah) now, but I think we care a whole hell of a lot less about what's going on in the world now than we did then. We they say soliders fought and died for our freedom, I always took it to mean freedom for everyone -- as in, ending genocide, right to life, etc.

Still, the best slogan, if you can call it that, I've heard related to remembrance day has always been the rather simple "never again."

Seems a good thing to take out of it...

-Nicole