Saturday, July 03, 2010

Five years in the adventures of two geeks

Wow, that went by quickly.

Five years ago this morning, Arone and I were running around Canmore picking up flowers, putting up directional signs, and being mistaken for groom and groom (yup, that was awkward). We stopped in at the spa where the girls were getting their hair and makeup done so Arone (not me, 'cause, you know, that would be against "tradition") could drop off my surprise gift of a diamond necklace to Natalie. Upon doing so, Arone was mistaken as Natalie's fiance (also awkward). That was an interesting day with a few stories that could be told years later. Maybe that's for another post.

So, a half-decade has passed--what are my thoughts on being married for that time?

Twelve years ago, I was standing by myself in the gardens of Versailles. It was a cold spring day and the full garden wasn't in bloom, but some of the flowers were out. Despite doing that trip with a school group, I had spent a lot of time on my own getting lost and exploring. This was one of those times.

I wasn't feeling particularly lonely (I actually don't mind being alone), but I do recall that I was suddenly struck by the urge to share this experience. This didn't mean I was to return to Canada intent upon finding a partner, but it was a moment when I realized an important requirement for future relationships: sharing is good.

Since that time, we've been to Versailles together. But, we've also been to other places and had shared experiences we'd never expected. From a Canadian cemetery in Belgium to a gamer-filled conference hall in Seattle to an ancient forest on Vancouver Island to a Viking settlement in Sweden. All ridiculously cool experiences made even more unique and important to us because they are shared.


It's been five-plus years of experiences that make this adventure a great one. But it's not just travel that I cherish. It's the shared experiences of daily life: playing video games, reading our iPhones in bed, and even writing together are important. Our recent hobby of writing about games and gadgets with The Review Crew has been a lot of fun. Of course, the trips to Vegas and LA were cool, but even just writing beside each other on our computers at home or on separate laptops from the comfort of a hotel room is unique experience I wouldn't want to give up.


In five years, we've grown together through our experiences that we've had as a couple. I guess this is a predictable process, but it's something you tend not to consider while it's happening.

It's an odd experience to reflect on five years. Time has moved quickly, yet there's been a definite progression in our relationship. We continue to learn more about each other as we grow individually and as a married unit.

I can definitely say that life together has only become better the more time passes. We first came together as friends and now we continue along as even better friends. I've often joked about how being married is just like an extended sleep over with late nights, movies, video games, good food, and hanging out with friends.

It's more than that, of course, but it's still a good, fun time nonetheless.

3 comments:

Mary said...

That made me a little... misty. Happy Anniversary, you two. And yes, there are many stories to be told about your wedding.

Alanna said...

Congrats on five wonderful years!
Marriage is the best, isn't it?

Colin and Jannose said...

Ahhh!! We a parents are so glad you found someone as special as Natalie to share your life with. We can only hope that your marriage has been as happy as ours after 33 years!