Monday, March 19, 2007

For your listening pleasure

CBC Radio 2 was mentioned in the last post and it seems enough is happening in the public broadcasting world to warrant a bit more comment.

Radio 3 is dead. Radio 2 killed it.

And so, an explanation is in order. Radio 2, the nation's predominantly classical music station is undergoing/has undergone a programming change. The gist: more music, less talk, new programs to appeal to their demographic. It's not all classical music, but... it's still Radio 2.

But as part of the great programming change of of 2007, they killed Radio 3, Canada's source for new independent Canadian music (rock, pop, hip-hop, folk, etc). Its last broadcast was on Saturday, March 17. It was a radio program occupying Saturday nights on the Radio 2 airwaves. It was a great venue for brilliant new music from across the country that you may never have heard before because, being independent, those bands don't have the access to the airwaves that big-label bands have. You know, it was such a great radio program, I'd recommend it to everyone I know.

The problem is, I never listened to it.

In fact, I suspect I never even accidentally caught Radio 3 on the FM dial. I suspect it's because I'm part of a generation that treats radio as background--the stuff you listen to in your car with you don't have a CD, or what's playing while you shop. Actually staying home on a Saturday night to listen to a radio show is completely foreign. Like, that's just... weird.

But here's the contradiction: I listen to Radio 3 all the time on-line and via podcast. Since the podcast debuted as a #1 podcast in Canada a year and a half ago, I have been hooked on their diversity and quality of new music. I don't like everything I hear, but I'm so grateful that they've introduced me to, or developed my appreciation for, bands such as Tokyo Police Club, Shout Out Out Out Out, Cadence Weapon, Joel Plaskett, Controller.Controller, Cuff the Duke, Great Lake Swimmers, Mother Mother, Swan Lake, etc, etc.

From a geeky media communications perspective, it's interesting to see the CBC make this change. They've embraced the online medium and dropped broadcast where they weren't appreciated (enough). They've even gone further and developed a station for Radio 3 on Sirius satellite radio, which, I suspect, is working out for them.

So, if you're curious about what I'm listening to, check out CBC Radio 3 online. You can listen to streaming radio, full concerts, selections from your favourite bands, put together your own playlist of all your favourites or share playlists with registered users. I recommend downloading the podcast hosted by Grant Lawrence--it's great for a workout or long trips in the car.

---

Did the above sound a lot like an ad for Radio 3? If it did, it's unintentional. But, should a Radio 3 producer or host stumble across this, I'd love some swag. I wear a medium.

---

Brave New Waves, another Radio 2 show featuring new, and sometimes experimental, music was also canceled in the programming change. I did accidentally catch this show once or twice since I recall it was on late on week nights.

One evening, when I was living at my grandparent's place while they were in Arizona, I was listening to Radio 2 while doing homework. When I finished my work around 12:30am, I turned up the radio so I could listen to it while I toodled around the dark house having a snack and preparing for bed.

While I'm pouring a glass of water, I can hear the host introducing a piece of that experimental music I mentioned. I paid no attention.

Suddenly, all I hear is loud, staccato bangs echoing through the house like the sound of an angry fist on a wooden door.

BANG! BANG! BANG!

And then the yelling started:

NEIGHBOUR! NEIGHBOUR!

Not sure why, but I suddenly feared for my life. Sure, it was odd music, but when combined with the darkness of the house, the lateness of the hour and the loudness of the radio, I was quickly terrified. My heart pounding, it took me a moment to start moving. I was driven by a singular purpose: to remove that source of anxiety filling my home.

I moved cautiously through the house until I reached the radio, the song blaring in my ears.

NEIGHBOUR! NEIGHBOUR!

I turned it off. Relieved. I needed to go to sleep. I needed to stop listening to radio late at night.

I will mourn the passing of Brave New Waves less.

3 comments:

joelthedramakid said...

hey,

i emailed you...i don't know if you got it or not so this is my way of trying to verify.

if you haven't try emailing me at my address from MSN.

ok Joel

gary said...

I saw Tokyo Police Club in New York about a month ago. I really enjoyed them. I did some photos of them before the show. They seem kind of quiet and reserved.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/garymilner/388431647/

Anonymous said...

TUX RENTAL:
Your tux needs to be rented from Moores, and the code you need to rent said tux is:
424518